This may not be the classic Monte Cristo; it is my version of the sandwich to accompany your tomato soup. It makes a grilled cheese seem a bit more special. Really this can be changed up to include turkey or any other favorite sandwich meat.
• 1 Loaf of good bakery butter crust bread
• ¾ lb Black Forest ham, shaved thin
• ½ lb Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
• 6-8 oz Gruyere Cheese, shredded
• Dijon mustard
• 2 eggs
• ½ cup of whole milk
• 2-3 tablespoons butter
• Whisk eggs and milk together in a low wide bowl.
• Assemble sandwich, spreading mustard on one side of each piece of bread.
• Start with two slices of Swiss cheese, then several slices of ham, mound it, next shredded Gruyere, and top with bread.
• Place sandwich in egg bath turning to get both sides.
• Place in a pan or griddle with melted butter. Cook on each side till very crisp. (I like to cut off crusts before assembling but it’s not necessary.)
Leave a Reply