I love a dessert that is easy to make and tastes like it wasn’t. I am also a big fan of blueberries no matter what time of year. This recipe could be changed and you could use apples. I’d add cinnamon. I always like to make a fresh bowl of whipped cream; it makes the dessert even more special. You can keep the discs of dough in your fridge pre-made and ready to go. Easy, simple, and tastes great… a perfect recipe for me.
• 1/2 cup of butter softened
• 1 egg
• ¼ cup of heavy cream
• 1-¼ cups of all-purpose flour
• 4 cups of fresh blueberries
• 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
• 1 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
• 1 tsp of lemon zest
• ¼ cup flour
• ¼ cup sugar
• 4 tablespoons of butter
• Beat butter in an electric mixer for 30 seconds, add egg and beat until combined, then beat in cream at low speed. Add flour until well combined.
• Remove dough and make a flattened disc. Wrap in parchment and chill for at least an hour.
• When ready, either divide dough into four parts for individual pies or roll out into one pie. Roll out onto a lightly floured surface. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
• Combine blueberries, sugar, zest, and breadcrumbs. Toss to combine.
• Mound the blueberries onto the center of the pastry dough. Carefully fold the pastry border up and over the blueberries, pleating the dough when necessary.
• Mix butter, flour, and sugar into fine crumbs and sprinkle over the pies or pie.
• Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly over entire surface.
• Transfer pie to a plate and cool before serving. Serve with fresh whipped cream.